Thursday, May 10, 2007

Isaiah, Paul, John, a Psalm & Hafiz

From Isaiah 43: 1-3:

Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are Mine!
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through the rivers, they will not overflow you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched,
Nor will the flame burn you.
For I am the Lord your God...

From Paul's letter to the Colossians 3:

Set your mind on the things above, not the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God...
[P]ut on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created [you]--a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcized and uncircumsized, barbarian, Scythian, slave or freeman,
but Christ is all and in all...
And so, put on a heart of compassion, kindness and humility, gentleness and patience, bearing with one another, and forgiving each other...
And beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts...

From John's first letter 4:
God is love,
and the one who abides in love abides in God,
and God abides in him...
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear...
If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother,
he is a liar;
for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen,
cannot love God whom he has not seen...
The one who loves God should love his brother also.

From Psalm 46:10:

Be Still
and know that I am God...

From the Sufi poetry of Hafiz, as rendered by Daniel Ladinsky:

Not With Wings
Here soar
Not with wings,
But with your moving hands and feet
And sweating brows--
Standing by your Beloved's side
Reaching out to comfort the world
With your cup of solace
Drawn from your vast reservoir of Truth.
Here soar
Not with your eyes and senses
That turn their backs
On the earth's sweet stumbling dance
Which needs you.
Here love, O here love...
And with your heart on duty
To the souls of rivers, children, forest animals,
All the shy feathered ones,
O here, Pilgrim
Love
On the holy battleground of life
Where there are bleeding men
Who are calling for a sacred drink,
A gentle word or touch from man
Or God...

A Tethered Falcon
My heart sits on the arm of God
Like a tethered falcon
Suddenly unhooded.
I am now blessedly crazed
Because my Master's Astounding Effulgence
Is in constant view...
I am a tethered falcon
With great wings and sharp talons poised,
Every sinew taut, like a Sacred Bow,
Quivering at the edge of myself
And Eternal Freedom,
Though still held in check
By a miraculous
Divine Golden Chord.
Beloved,
I am waiting for You to free me...

Who can understand
Your sublime Nearness and Separation?

Keeping Watch
In the morning
When I began to wake,
It happened again--
That feeling
That You, Beloved,
Had stood over me all night
Keeping watch,
That feeling
That as soon as I began to stir
You put Your lips on my forehead
And lit a Holy Lamp
Inside my heart.

A Hole in His Flute
I am a hole in His flute
That the Christ's breath moves through--
Listen to this Music.
First written: July 2010

No comments: