Thursday, May 10, 2007

Prefatory Comments

A return to graduate school at Harvard at age 54, and an extraordinary corner turned in my prayer and spiritual life, challenged and changed my sense of identity, purpose and direction. In December 2004, I started writing about it and couldn’t seem to stop. An edgy personal anthem, a statement of complaint and declaration of changed identity demanded expression. I titled it Out of the Box for reasons evident in the reading of it. Other essays soon followed clarifying or expanding on aspects of the first. Those were my Identity's Complaint essays.

Then still more essays were called forward to address issues of faith posed by the earlier pieces. What emerged was this next series of essays titled, What God? Identity and Life with the One Who Calls Us, and another series, Beyond Life's Boxes. And while these lack the same rhetorical edge, they too are intended to be provocative in the sense of challenging our spiritual sense of identity, our understandings, directions and actions.

These essays are more a personal reflection on finding oneself, being found by God, and finding evolving relationship and identity in Him. They are about me and my evolving identity, yes, but they could also be about you. So, it would be altogether satisfying to me if in some way they help others better relate to their existential and spiritual questions, either by providing some answers or better questions.

Greg Hudson
September 2007

No comments: